Frequently Asked Questions – Master of Civil-Military Interaction

What is the aim of the Master of Civil-Military Interaction?

The programme qualifies personnel in leadership function for managerial roles in the field of Civil-Military Interaction. Examples are military Staff Officers or member of an International- or Non-Governmental Organization.

Am I eligible to enroll in the Master of Civil-Military Interaction?

The prerequisites to follow the Master of Civil-Military Interaction are either a Bachelor’s degree of 240 ECTS, or a previous Master’s degree or comparable Diploma. We can provide further assistance in case you are sure about your eligibility to enroll.

How can I enroll in the Master of Civil-Military Interaction?

For enrollment please visit the website of the Centre for Further Scientific Education at the Helmut-Schmidt-University (HSU), University of the German Armed Forces, Hamburg: . Please send all enquiries to

Can I enroll as a civilian?

Of course! The progamme is designed to equally qualify civilian and military personnel for leadership functions.

How long does it take to follow the programme?

We suggest to follow the programme within 24 months. However, the pace of studying depends on your time available and individual pace of studying is flexible and may vary.

What is the mode of study, residential or e-learning?

The Master of Civil-Military Interaction is designed as a further education degree that can be studied part-time.

When does the programme start?

The Master of Civil-Military Interaction does not follow a regular semester or trimester calendar. You can enroll at any time of the year and follow the modules as they are being offered.

CCOE modules are being offered here:

Modules of the Helmut-Schmidt-University are being offered here:

Where do the residential parts take place?

The modules at the Civil-Military Cooperation Centre of Excellence will take place in The Hague, The Netherlands, the residential part of the modules at the Helmut-Schmidt-University will take place in Hamburg, Germany. In the near future, it is planned to offer additional modules by renowned Universities in Europe.

How does a typical module look like?

The two modules offered by the CCOE both consist of a 10 day residential block. The other modules start and conclude with a weekend seminar. In between the seminars, a 12 week period of blended learning allows students to interact with each other and the tutors as well as to develop their products.

How much flexibility do I have in choosing the modules?

We are aiming to ensure a maximum of flexibility. Although we recommend to start with the personal competencies (see structure of the degree), you are free to choose the order of the modules. Within the leadership competencies we offer a broader variety of topics, which you can choose according to your preferences. Only the CCOE Higher Command Planning module is mandatory.

How does the structure of the degree look like?

How much does it cost?

The Civil-Military Cooperation Centre of Excellence will charge a tuition of currently 480€ per module. The other modules will cost 1000€.

What are the payment terms?

No tuition has to be paid in advance. Tuition for the modules will be charged under the terms of the providing institutions. Students will receive an invoice for each module after registration.

Is it possible to transfer credits from previous experience?

It is possible to compensate modules of the M-CMI by proof of comparable qualifications gained by professional experience or previous education. An assessment will be done on individual basis.

Do I need a security clearance for attending the modules at the CCOE?

You don’t need a security clearance. The CCOE provides an open learning environment and assures access to the modules for civilians and military from non-NATO nations.

Where can I find additional information?

Additional information can be found at the CCOE and HSU websites. We are also happy to answer your individual questions. Please contact or